Sunday, July 22, 2007

Where is your poop?

I made it! I'm at the Peace Corps training center, Tubani So (meaning the house of the dove, or of peace, in Bambara). I don't even know where to start; everything is so awesome. The orientation in Phily is already a blur. It was basically a crash course in policies, cultural exchange, what 'development' actually is, etc. The flight here was pretty uneventful (esp. compaired to the effort it took to get to India!). Nobody lost any luggage on the way over, which is apparently very very rare. We arrived in Bamako pretty late at night and loaded up into the vans with all our luggage piled on top and tied down with a tarp. We then drove out to the training center, which is absolutly beautiful. The rooms are either brick (if they're orthagonal) or rammed earth (if they're round) with perfectly pitched thatched roofs. There's a pet turtle that was saved from somewhere in Bamako that is about 3 feet long and surprisingly fast! Since we got here (which was only 2 days ago, but seems like a month) we've been doing non-stop training with sessions in safety, health, malian culture, bambara (the main language after french), and even a whole session in parasites and how to deal with what we've come to call "Mr. D." (I don't think I need to explain..) The food is actually really good, although I think they're americanizing it a bit for us for now. It's rice with some sauce on top made of vegetables and meat, and 'to,' which is corn mush, and actually not that bad. My only complaint is that it's a little bland. (Maybe I'm just comparing everything to India...) On Wednesday we move out to our host-villages where we'll each stay with a family for the rest of our training.
My french is getting much better, but Bambara is pretty tough so far. I've already made some pretty funny mistakes. For example, "I be bo min" means 'where are you from.' However, if inverted ("I bo be min") means 'where is your poop?' Oops! Although I'm guessing this phrase might actually be useful when I get to dealing with water sanitation issues...
Another really funny story just happened tonight: I was talking with one of the language and cultural trainers during dinner, and found out that 'ma' (my initials) means 'god' in Bambara. Joking is a huge part of Malian culture, so he joked that I was a god, I joked that that meant I could command him to do anything I wanted, he asked what I would make him do, and I jokingly said that he should get me some chocolate ice cream. It was all hilarious, since there really is no ice cream anywhere near us. But then, hours later, as all the trainees were hanging out and studying our languages, he shows up with a bunch of chololate ice cream, almost melted, all the way from Bamako!!! It was totally awesome. I'm not sure if I've given any justice to how funny it was, but take my word for it.
Anyway, I love it here, everything is great, and I'm so excited to get to my village. But on a somewhat sad note, my roommate is crying every night and really wants to go home, which is a pretty hard decision.

Give me all the updates from back home! Who dies in Harry Potter, etc. And everybody should send me mail!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I bo be min, yo!
Great first post... an instant classic. I am so glad to hear that things are going well for you and you seem VERY happy. That's awesome. I hope it only gets better from here on out.

Sorry to hear about your homesick roommate. That's got to be tough to be around. Although, since you are "god" can't you miracle some peace-of-mind on them or something? (just kidding)

I liked the chocolate icecream anecdote... that's a pretty good wish if you ask me.

As far as Harry Potter goes, I just started to book and already I have to dodge people trying to spoil it for me. Lisa was so nice, she surprised me with a copy. (She said it would be torture for her to be reading it and not be able to talk to me about it.)

So, what is your favorite parasite? Will you be cooking most of your own food, or do they deliver? 30 minutes or it's free?

Today I got to go to fancy dinner with some business people from Australia. Tomorrow I meet with them and some business friends from Japan... should be fun. It's nice to like the people you work with. We were talking about airplane flights and traveling mishaps, and I mentioned your baggage loss in Saudi Arabia. That was quite the story to share. Nobody had a topper. Glad to hear that this time wasn't so eventful.

Have I mentioned that I love that you create these blog entries for us? It's wonderful to hear what you're up to and learn what you're doing and learning. Thank you so much for this!

Good luck meeting your host family, and expect your solar i-Pod charger within a few weeks. Love you much!

-Peter

bp said...

Mary, Seth gave me this link.

Sorry to hear about the low morale of your roomie, but other than that, it sounds really awesome. I hope your fortune continues. Post pictures (if possible??)!

Congrats on being God.
Brian

amanda_v said...

Mary,

I know you're without internet access right now and possibly eating goat heads and whatnot, but I just wanted to stop in and say hi! Things in Cincinnati are as they always have been - though this summer is a little less hot and humid than normal. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time. I'm really glad you're getting another chance to do something so neat.

Not much else to report - James moves in a few weeks from now, so that's quite exciting.

Hope to hear more soon! Good luck with Mr. D and the lack of ice cream situation :)

-Amanda

Monarch Motivational Seminars said...

Mary, I sent you mail in India that you never got!

What makes me believe that you will get it in Africa??

I am so glad that you started another blog as I seriously enjoyed your "India" one.

May God (the real one, not you LOL) bless your tour of duty and I hope that you continue to have a wonderful time.