Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Woosh, Baaa!


This is my room in my family's compound. It's pretty pimp compared to some of the other houses. (I guess that's what you get when you live with the chief...) We've also got a tv that they hook up to a car battery, and watch brazilian soap operas dubbed in french, which no one in my family speaks or understands. We also get the news occasionally, which makes me realize how totally out of touch I am. There was a brief story about some bridge that collapsed in America? What's up with that?



This is Lisa (my fellow trainee) and I after biking to the bigger town down the road.


...and this is the bridge between Missalabugu and the town. We biked over there, and then it started pouring rain. The water rose almost 2 meters above the bridge, so we were stuck for two hours waiting for it to go down. A man with some sheep tried to cross while the current was still going over the bridge, and a sheep got carried away down the river. Woosh. Just like that. Baaa!

3 comments:

James Van Mil said...

It was a highway bridge in Minnesota. The whole thing collapsed and took a few cars (and people) with it.

Amy A said...

I imagine it would be tough to be a vegan in Mali... It's cool to hear your about where you're staying and the pictures help me imagine it. I hope you're avoiding konoboli and boiling your water!

On water: there's a big push to cut back on bottled water and return to the tap here in NYC. The reasoning is not only that bottled water is fuel inefficient and waste producing, but that the quality of public tap water might eventually erode if people are no longer advocating for it. The neighborhood center where I volunteer prohibits bottled water on premesis.

Are you ready for care packages? Where and how can we send them? What do you want (aside from books)?

amanda_v said...

Mary,

Sounds like you're continuing to have a wonderful time! I may have missed this, but I am wondering what you're teaching.

The crazy thing about the collapsing bridge in Minnesota is that as far as I know, they still have no idea why it happened.

Anyway, I'm glad you're doing so well! Keep the updates coming!

-Amanda