Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tasuma be Sanfe de!

Sorry for the short christmas post, but, as promised, I can write more often now that I'm in Bamako for a few weeks, with all the luxuries of the modern world. We tried to watch the OSU game last night, huddled together under discarded refugee blankets at 1 in the morning, but it wouldn't stream fast enough from the internet, so we gave up. I heard they lost anyway. Tonight we're taking advantage of the CNN access here to watch the New Hampshire primaries. We'll take what we can get.
What brings me to Bamako, other than internet and CNN, is the second phase of technical training. In between football games and catching up with all the other volunteers, we're learning methods for digging wells, irrigating gardens, composting, etc., and also how to find funding for such projects.

I mentioned refugee blankets - yes, it's freezing here! I didn't take them seriously when they said that cold season was coming, but it's true! I'm wearing sweaters and sitting around fires to keep warm.

A be fo cogodi ni tasuma be sanfe?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi! I am applying for the PC and was just browsing the blogs for PCV's and found yours! Very interesting thank you for the great information. Keep it up you never know who is going to read! I have learned a lot about life in the PC just by reading these and yours is one of the more interesting ones. I appreciate you keeping updates :)

-Michelle

Anonymous said...

I ni sogoma from a fellow foreigner in Mali... I am a Canadian stationned in Bandiagara, in the region of Mopti! I've been here since December and I'm looking to find out if there are any Peace Corps in my region, the nearest cities are Sévaré and Mopti. I was browsing and stubbled accross your blog. Any pointers are appreciated! You can reply to this comment or, if you would like, give me a call 450 7992.
Thanks much!
Markella

Mary said...

Markella,
There are Peace Corps volunteers all over the country, including some in sévaré and mopti, and even two in Bandiagara! Just ask around for the tubabu!