Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Africa is not the place for perfectionists.

After much delay, we've started making cement bricks for the well:
We're still in the prime months for farming, so men in the village are taking turns working each day, so that no one's crops get neglected. We've made 1088 bricks so far, leaving 912 to go (which they're working on while I'm here in Bamako).



The curved bricks are formed in a small mold, one brick at a time, and then left to cure. Since my village really has no experience working with cement, it's both heartening and harrowing watching them climb the learning curve. If the mixture is too wet or has too much sand, the bricks will slump over and deform once they leave the mold. In fact, just like snowflakes, no two bricks are exactly the same. As a perfectionist, it's comforting to know that they will all be hidden inside the well, 30 meters below ground.






It's been a great time so far, finally getting to start some 'real' work. Each day the crew shows up to the site equipped with wheelbarrow, shovels, cement, a charcoal stove, tea, and sugar. Everything you need for a day's work. They take turns making bricks, making tea, and napping the wheelbarrow:




As soon as the rains stop (next month, Inshallah!), we'll start digging the well.
The school project is also moving along quickly! After working with a contractor, trying to convince him of the importance of using local materials rather than tons of metal and cement, I've put together a rough budget. For 6 classrooms, a large rainwater harvesting system, and 4 composting latrines, it comes to about $60,000. The local commune has pledged to pay an unknown percentage, and a local NGO has pledged to pay another unknown percentage. For the remainder, however much that may be, I've got to find another source of funding. There's a peace corps program that allows family and friends (and anybody else) to donate to volunteer projects, so don't be too surprised if I hit ya'll up in the near future to donate! More info to come as soon as some of these unknowns become known!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

aw, they look pretty good! what are you using to form them?

also, was the wheelbarrow really the most comfortable option available for a nap? really?

Anonymous said...

Mary,

So this is a super-belated post (I think it has been almost six months since my last comment!), but see all is rather well. I'm sure the experience has been life-changing for both you and the villagers. So I guess this is about your one year anniversary, which leaves you one year to go in Mali.

I realized how small of a world we really live in when just yesterday I sold some speakers to a gentleman named Moussa Traore who is from Bamako! He is bringing them back for his club there; I have quite a few clients from West Africa who work here in the US and bring back music equipment because prices for the same gear in Africa are about five times as much.

All is well for me here in Boston. Nate moved back to Cincinnati to pursue an opportunity there at a equipment house (Midwest Grip and Lighting) that is the hub of the film industry in the Midwest. I've been promoted at Guitar Center (twice) and am now in store management. I also work for an internet startup called Famespire.com as the Audio/Visual director. We record and film live, local bands and then post them on our site with a bio, interview, etc. We're tentatively going live October 1st; keep an eye on that URL and check out the recording work I've been doing.

I'm good at rambling on, so I'll keep it short this time and wish you all the best with the rest of your time in Mali. I'll keep in touch. And thank you for the blogs; I really appreciate getting to see a completely different world, both figuratively and literally, through your eyes.

Cheers,

John the Greek

Unknown said...

I have a stupid question, Mary. Why are the bricks arc-ed?

Monarch Motivational Seminars said...

I don't think the bricks look at all bad. . . . maybe upon closer examination they might. . . . but I think you have accomplished a great deal and so have your community members. Nice that they rotate working on the project and working in their fields. To say nothing of rotating the making bricks, making tea and taking naps.

Did you get to take a nap in the wheelbarrow, too??

Vi said...

it's been a while since i've kept up with your blog but i just wanted to say that i'm still awe inspired each time i get the chance to read!

thanks for posting. thanks for being patient and thanks for doing what you're doing. keeps me going!