Friday, April 18, 2008

Send Me Some Ice!

It's been so long since my last post I don't even know where to start. There have been a lot of developments with my school project. We're definitely going ahead with it and my village couldn't be more excited. I think I was hesitant at first to get going because I wasn't sure if it was something that the village really needed or it was just my own interest in doing a construction project, but after many community meetings I'm convinced that it's definitely a beneficial project for the village. I learned that the construction of a new schoolhouse in Tongo has been on the "5-year plan" of the commune for a long time, but there was never enough resources and organization to make it happen. Some things have already been set in motion, though. Last year the village secured a plot of land and had it surveyed. They led me out to the site and I was amazed to see that they had already staked out exactly where they want the new building and already built a house for the new teachers! I also met with the mayor of the commune who was incredibly enthusiastic and agreed to do what it takes to hire more teachers. There are currently 2 teachers in Tongo, and the school goes from the first to the fourth grade. Yet since there are only 2 classrooms and 2 teachers, first and second grade students attend in the morning and third and forth grade attend in the afternoon. The "premier cycle" of the educational system here is 6 grades, after which you pass on to second cycle, then high school, then college (if you're lucky and not needed to work in the fields). But the closest school with fifth and sixth grade is 20 kilometers away. Most students in Tongo complete the fourth grade and never go on past that. So the plan is to construct a 6 room school house with 6 teachers. The building also incorporates a large rainwater catchment system to be used for irrigation in the garden. The design is finished, and I'm now in the process of pricing all the materials. Everything is going to be built by the community and everything except the sheet metal and columns for the roof is local, sustainable material. We're using compressed earth bricks and a rammed earth foundation. I'm even trying to convince them that we can make some window screens out of a calabash.
The first step now is to get water. I just submitted a grant proposal to get funding to dig a well on the site, which we can hopefully finish before the millet harvest. We're scheduled to start construction of the school in January and it would be nice if we had water on the site first!
I definitely feel like I'm challenging myself with this project, working as architect, contractor, and construction manager. The hardest part for me is knowing when to admit that I need help with things and then asking for it. I'm also realizing that the level of community participation that I advocated in my thesis is extremely difficult to achieve - at least much more so than I expected! Coordinating illiterate villagers to take up responsibilities like putting together and managing a budget is a task that I never anticipated or addressed in my thesis, but which I now realize is one of the most useful skills that I can transfer.

In the meantime, I'm still having a great time here, filled with innumerable wonderful experiences. I just got back from a brief trip to Bamako where I ate so much delicious food! Now it's back to snot sauce as I return to my village. Although I must confess that I'm kind-of starting to like the food... It's hot season here, which is pretty close to unbearable. Even the Malians don't move out of the shade between 10am and 5pm. I hear it's spring in America? How's that going for ya'll?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I googled the Peace Corps and Mali and found your blog - I leave in July to do agriculture extension in Mali. It seems like you're enjoying you're experience, I enjoyed reading over your entries. Any recommendations for someone before they leave? (And the spring here is great- I live in fredericksburg where if you have allergies, you're coughing and sneezing constantly because of all the beautiful pollen-filled trees and flowers).

Anonymous said...

Mary, I think the lack of comments is because people forget to check now since it's been 2 months since your last post! Anyway, the project sounds amazing, and I know that you are providing a great service to the village. Be sure to ask for help, i'm sure people will be more than willing to help you if you just ask. Stay in the shade and cool off! -BILL

Anonymous said...

Your Blog is inspirational. I am fascinated by Mali and get a Blog alert every day that has reference tio Mali and that is how I found yours. Your work is tremendous and congrats for it.
My work is with Aboriginal people in Australia that live in remote communities and are also very disadvantaged.
There is one huge difference though - we give them money for nothing compared with your vuillagers and I suspect yours have a much better idea of values of things because they have to work for it.
I would like to do a closer look at this subject. Interested?
I am passing your site link on to a man in Darwin involved in mud brick buildings. If I had an emailess for you I would copy you in but maybe another time eh?
For something on my thoughts go to
http://remoteaboriginals.blogspot.com/
Keep it up
Rollo Manning